Crispy Chilli Shredded Beef
I trialled it for myself last night but made it us both for dinner tonight with Pawel being off. We were both fed up of just having a piece of meat with a side dish, and I've been gasping for a Chinese for ages. I cooked it for us early as we didn't have lunch, so we had an early dinner at about 5PM!
It's actually better than the dish you get from the Chinese and really fresh - a little bit more effort is required though than dialling your local takeaway number!
Here's the recipe:
Crispy Chilli Shredded Beef:
For the beef:
* 300g of frying steak cut into 1/2-1cm strips ( I used rum steak
cut into strips as I couldn't get hold of any frying steak.
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 tbsp of corn flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
* Oil for deep frying
For the chilli sauce:
* 1 carrot
* 2 spring onions
* 2 chillies, finely sliced. Leave the seeds from one but deseed
* 4tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
* 4 tbsp of Chinese rice vinegar (white or clear)
* 20g sugar
1. Slice your beef into 0.5-1cm strips and in a bowl, beat two eggs with the salt and the for flour until blended. Coat the beef in the mixture - this is your batter
2. Meanwhile, heat your oil in a wide pan for deep frying, or your deep fat fryer if you have one. You next want to add your beef in batches to fry.
3. Once browned, take out and drain on kitchen roll. You can either leave it to one side on the kitchen roll or pop it on a baking tray in an oven to keep warm
4. Once all your beef is cooked and crispy, you can then fry your onion, carrot and chilli in a frying pan with a bit of oil until slightly wilted/browned
5. To the carrot and onion mix, add your sugar, followed by your rice vinegar and chilli sauce, then simply toss your fried beef pieces in the mixture to coat the beef with the sauce
6. Serve with rice, or an egg fried rice like we did.
This really is better than a takeaway version!