Daisypath - Vacation

Monday, 10 November 2014

The days really do seem to go by so quickly these days. What happened to the times when I was younger, when it seemed like forever between Halloween and Christmas?

Does time really go faster the older you get - I'm sure my Dad used to say something like that!

Yes, it's been over a week since I last updated, but there's not all that much that's been going off. We're still doing a very slow cleanup of the engine room. We're not rushing it - it's not a living space so it's not impacting on day to day life on the boat.

Last week, we cleaned all the engine room floor boards and all the appliances that had a film of oil all over them(!) We also used an oil and degreaser solution and diluted that and threw it into the bilge where it's still sitting - hopefully working away. In the next day or so we will go in there and give it a good scrubbing with a bristle brush and hopefully a lot of the grease will be cleaned up and we can think further along the lines of getting it all painted up.

Pawel was off on Bonfire Night - we didn't really do much though and didn't go to see any firework displays. We just had a movie night in and dinner and even had toffee popcorn !



It's really easy to make, but really addictive too. I'll post the recipe soon - it's not difficult, better than buying it and was definitely a good bonfire night snack!


For once, it was actually proper bonfire night weather too - cold, dry and misty! I haven't remembered a bonfire night like that since I was a kid - we even had a festive walk outside around 10PM just to take it all in!

The riddling grate broke on our stove the other day. I noticed when I riddled that suddenly all the coal seemed to disappear into the ash pan! Another worry! (And bill!!)

We let the fire die out the day after and took a look - the grate had actually snapped in half. We've ordered another one which came on saturday but haven't fitted it yet.

In the meantime, it would mean that we couldn't really empty the ash and the ash and the coal would all be in one pile meaning that within a day or so, the efficiency of the stove would decrease.

We decided to do a repair job on the grate while we were awaiting delivery of the new one. It was dead easy!...



We got a wire coat hanger and literally used the wire to bend around the two parts, pulling them together


Its not perfect but it's done the job and meant we could keep the stove going. I think we're going to let the stove die out tonight and drop the new one in tomorrow!



Saturday, 1 November 2014

A Little Bit Better...

Yes, we're feeling a little bit more positive about it all today and we've even been cracking a joke or two about it all as well. Today, we didn't get up until late - nearly 11, despite planning an early start to run the engine beforehand to charge up the batteries so we could let it cool enough to work on and fix the exhaust.

It left us a bit short of time, but we definitely needed the lie in- with everything going on, it's just drained us - plus I didn't sleep that well last night either due to the local party scene outside!!

We had a bit of breakfast/lunch and then Pawel set off on attempting to apply the gum to the exhaust. Here's how it was looking:




It's a bit awkward to get to as well as it's the top of the silencer, so it has broken away right on the opposite side to where you can get to - nearly against the side wall of the hull.

Poor Pav!


He had a little hand held mirror and a torch to help and applied it as best he could. It doesn't look perfect, but who cares about that?? As long as it does the job - that's the most important thing.

Gum applied:






My only concern looking at the pictures, is that it hasn't been applied thickly enough - there weren't any instructions on the tin really as to how thick it needed to be applied. Anybody have any ideas??

I did also get the bandage too, so I might get Pawel to slap another layer of the gum on tomorrow and then also wrap in the bandage - should be good to go then!

We still have the clean up to do as well - oil all over the deck boards and all over the washing machine and tumble dryer that's in the tumble dryer.

I got something called "Swarfega Oil and Grease Remover" yesterday from Halfords. I haven't tried it yet, but my plan is to clean all the obvious up first (deck boards, tumble dryer, washer) and then literally throw shit loads of it down into the bilge and maybe use a coarse brush to scrub and just keep rinsing it out to clean up. My master plan is to then use Owatrol on the bare steel and paint all the bilge so we can get it all properly tidied up and looking smart.