More Bread

Well I started a mix for a new loaf of bread yesterday using my own yeast that has the ascorbic acid already added.

Anyway, I decided to use a mix of 400g of wheat flour and 250g of rye flour, and I've just took it out of the oven now:







I'm not that impressed so far. It lookg good, it's just not a huge loaf and feels quite heavy so I have a feeling that its going to be a bit dough-y inside.

I think the problem is that I used too much rye flour. I've since found out that rye flour doesn't contain much of the gluten fibres that gives bread it's rise/texture. I looked at some rye bread recipes and most use a ratio of 5:1 wheat flour to rye and my ratio was more like 2:1 which could be where the problem lies...

I'm going to wait until its cooled a little and then I'll slice it to see what it looks like inside. If its more like cake or sponge, I'll chuck it!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Can I Begin?

Make use of time, let not advantage slip - William Shakespeare