Slush

The snow arrived last night as I mentioned in yesterday's post, but the humongous flakes soon turned into rain. It was a horrible night, the worst winds I remember since being in Castlefield Basin in September 2011 where it felt like we'd never survive as we were right on the corner with the wind whipping round us!

However, the wind phased out after about 11.30Pm last night so I ended up getting plenty of beauty sleep ;)

Today, the towpath is slushy and really muddy which is horrible. I was trying to take a photo of it when we had a new friend come to greet us:



He's from a boat a little bit further down and came for a visit last week too. Lovely dog!

Anyway, you cant really tell in picture above and its got a lot worse as the temperature warmed up throughout the day, but its just soggy, wet, muddy puddles on the towpath now. Because we're still away from our normal mooring spot (which has a gravelled path!) the next day or two is going to be a NIGHTMARE with having a dog that's going to be jumping around in it every time we let him out!

We still can't move either, as down this end is still completely iced over - Pawel thinks its about an inch thick! I'm hoping that the temperatures will stay above zero for a day or two now (its currently showing as 5.5 degrees!) and that should thaw the canal out enough for us to move!

We also need to top up with water soon and this is something I'm starting to worry about! We're fine for now, but I've had my fun with the snow... I just want it to disappear and let me move my boat!!!

Nothing else new really. Pawel was off today so we got a cab to a local Topps Tiles to have a look at what tiles we might do the bathroom in (if it happens at all!).

At the moment, it's looking unlikely that we'll even be able to buy the tiles due to funds etc, never mind get them fitted, but I'm just desperate for it to be done! The main reason is that at the moment I have to keep kneeling down to shower which is an absolute killer for my knee.

We'll see!




Comments

  1. Been reading through your blog sorry to here about the varnishing but the tip is if you are going to varnish make sure you use an oil based varnish AND NOT WATER BASED cos it is crap and will dry before you can brush it out properly and goes streaky read the tin, if brushes are cleaned in soapy water then it is water based. Good luck with the tiling just done our bathroom regards Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. To be honest I don't know why I entertained the idea of a coloured varnish as ive attempted to use them in the past and then always had second thoughts!

      It's all sorted now anyway, with a seperate stain and then just a clear matt varnish!

      Any tips for the bathroom although I won't be doing that myself anyway!

      Delete
  2. bathroom!!! make sure when butting up tiles from bulkheads to side pannels that you leave plenty of gap between the tiles this allows for contraction and expantion of the hull to finish off use a larger than usual silicon bead regards Paul

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

TO POST A COMMENT, SIMPLY TYPE YOUR MESSAGE IN THE COMMENTS BOX BELOW (IT MIGHT BE ABOVE THIS MESSAGE DEPENDING ON HOW YOUR BROWSER DISPLAYS THINGS!)

THEN, SELECT "ANONYMOUS" FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU BELOW THAT AS THAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO SAY HI TO ME!

DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR NAME ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Where Can I Begin?

Make use of time, let not advantage slip - William Shakespeare