Daisypath - Vacation

Monday, 18 November 2013

Window Frames

Not a lot been happening today, which I suppose at least gives me an opportunity to fill you in on the further work we had done last week by Rob.

It looks like it's going to be a cold evening tonight though. We've only had one or two frosts up here so far, but I'm thinking that we will have another overnight. The temperature at 6PM was only 2.3c and now as I write this, the temperature is reading 0.5c. I know it wasn't long ago that I was complaining about winter and wishing summer was upon us, but I have to say, I get a lot more excited about winter-time weather than summer weather! Sad?!

Anyway, back to last week....

Once Rob had completed the doors, he also began fitting the new Sapele window frames that we had asked him to make for us. We wanted two new ones for the living room and two for the bedroom.

The old window frames werent really window frames at all - mostly just beading around the edges of the windows which were looking tatty, coming away from the walls and also stained from water damage. That's the reason why we chose Sapele too - it's not as prone to water damage like oak is which will just go black once exposed to water (I read once that oak contains a natural chemical which reacts when it comes into contact with water and causes a permanent blacking of the wood - it looks really unsightly and I used to hate it on our old doors/hatch doors).

an old "frame":



The new frames Rob made are properly mitred, chunky and modern feeling and really transformed the window space. You might not think so - it's just a window frame, right? To be honest, I wasn't really that interested in having new window frames - it was more Pav that wanted them as I thought that the money could be better spent elsewhere. However, it really has made a huge difference and looks really clean.




Rob also made some corner pieces as you can see above just to finish off nicely and so you can't see a ghastly hole to the bare steel - bare steel has been insulated too before the corner pieces went on ;)

All I had to do was just silicone between the frame and the metal frame of the window to finish off and to make sure no condensation off the frame would run underneath and cause problems.




a few action shots...









Finished:


Rob left after that which just left us with the dreaded clean up. You know what it's like - when you liveaboard and having work done, it's just awful! You get the dust everywhere, mess, wood shavings ....don't remind me. I think we got finished up by about 6PM that night though which wasn't too bad and certainly helped that Pav was off that day to give me a hand putting everything back to right!


1 comment:

  1. The windows look great! I know what you mean about the water stains looking unsightly - I hate them, but they'll have to remain for the time being...

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

TO POST A COMMENT, SIMPLY TYPE YOUR MESSAGE IN THE COMMENTS BOX BELOW (IT MIGHT BE ABOVE THIS MESSAGE DEPENDING ON HOW YOUR BROWSER DISPLAYS THINGS!)

THEN, SELECT "ANONYMOUS" FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU BELOW THAT AS THAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO SAY HI TO ME!

DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE YOUR NAME ;)