I've got a new weather app as the BBC one didn't seem that accurate and always seemed way out from our outdoor thermometer.
Anyway, as I sit and write this (its 17:15!) my thermometer says its minus 1.7c! Here's what the app is saying:
The temp forecast for 18:00 is minus 2 - left hand side on the screen shot:
So I'm expecting it to be a bit worse, frost wise in the morning!
Anyway, I'm making the most of the weather by doing a bit of slow cooking on the wood burner. I've never done it before, but we actually got some cast iron cookware in the summer so I will be doing it a lot this year.
I made a beef bourginon , frying off the beef first and adding the wine etc this afternoon and then literally putting the lid on and sticking it on the stove - who needs an electric slow cooker?!
It should be ready by about 7PM. I've checked on it once or twice and its bubbling away nicely and not stuck to the bottom so a good way of cooking! Oops! Just remembered I need to add the baby onions and mushrooms for the last hour or so.... Good job I didn't forget!
Here's a pic - excuse it though - bad iPad cam makes it look darker than it is in here - makes it look dirty, cave like and like I've got no proper lights in here!
Well, after Rob had finished replacing the glass in the doors last week, it wasn't until the day after that I managed to do a clean up of the silicone off the glass so I could start my bevel and leading design - cleaning the silicone off was a right job and took me over an hour to clean just the two little windows. My OCD may have played a part in that ;)
Anyway, next step was to finally apply my bevels which I had been wanting for over a year but just couldn't do because of the broken glass!
Firstly, I had to make a diamond template - the same shape as the bevel. I wanted to apply that to the glass first and look from different positions to make sure it was completely level and looked right - "measure twice, cut once"and all that!
Once I was happy with the placement of the paper template it was time to go outside to bond the bevel onto the outside of the glass - always get nervous when I do this- I don't know why!
Anyway, I got everything together and headed outside....
The bevels went on and got them into the perfect position - even though it was a dull day, the bonding agent was going off really quickly:
Next job was the leading. I chose a gold leading to match with the door hardware:
One pane complete:
Both panes complete:
Final adjustments to be made with the leading
The final stage was to add a stain glass element to the glass without overpowering the whole design. I was originally going to do a red coloured border all the way around the edges of each pane.
When I sampled it out though it just looked a bit too much. I decided to just do it onto the bevels without applying the film right up to the edge of the bevel - doing that would mean you would lose the benefit of the bevel and the way the light dazzles through them on a sunny day etc.
So here is the finished product - on the first picture you can see the light fragments that the bevel creates:
The boat now looks like it has a smiley face - the bevels look like two eyes!