I Need to Post More Regularly!
It's a bit hard to explain but when I was writing the blog before I had any readers, it was easier - I didn't feel censored or like I had to word things in a certain way - I could just write what I was thinking or feeling and it didn't really matter. I always said that if I felt I had to censor posts that I would stop posting altogether.
On the other hand though , I have missed blogging and having the interaction with other boaters - not only that but the blog is great to look back on from time to time and see how far we've come in terms of our fit out. So I guess I just have to find a balance really and get over it!
Lots has been happening in the last few weeks, mostly with hospital appointments as there's still no resolution to my problems :S Not only that but we've been doing the usual "prepping for winter" which I'm sure most other boaters are also doing at this time of year.
A few weeks back, we decided that we would burn logs as well as coal this year. Burn mostly wood during the day and then load the stove with coal during the night to keep the stove in. We figured that we could now safely store logs on the new mooring - especially with the strip of land we have, so we got to work on building a log store....
In the making:
We basically made it out of old crates - one for the bottom and one for the top and then scrap wood for batons in between. did have to get a roll of felt to make a 'roof' but overall it does the job and beats paying £100+ for a ready made log store half the size!
Luckily we found a guy who delivers seasoned logs and also knew where we were here ( it's a nightmare trying to explain how to get here by car/van to someone, as its pretty much in the middle of nowhere and unless they already know the place, you can guarantee they won't show!). Anyway, we got a few cubic meters of logs from him so are well stocked on that front - although we've got through them at quite a pace already!
At least stacking them in the wood store was a bit of exercise....
The other week we finally had Rob back to fix our bow doors! I don't want to go into too much detail on here but basically the glass cracked in January /Feb time this year - not long after we had the doors fitted. It happened on one door to begin with and then the second door not so long after. It looked a real mess and meant that I couldn't do the bevel and leading design I wanted to do on the doors.
Anyway, after quite a few months, Rob has managed to sort them out for us! He took out the old glass, routed the frames out and put new glass and beaded it in this time meaning that it should be a bit more stable and more flexible - meaning the glass is unlikely to crack in future from extreme heat or cold.
eye spy with my little eye....Rob with a door! My heart was in my throat when he was smashing the glass out!
New glass in, awaiting a silicone clean-up!:
It was great to finally just see the doors without all the glass cracked - it looked an eyesore and made the doors look old before their time and uncared for!
Rob did a bit more work for us too, but I will save that for tomorrow's post as this one is going on a bit now! Also, I have since beveled and leaded the door windows so will show you them tomorrow ;)